The Risks of Neglecting Tile Roof Cleaning
Tile roofs have been around for centuries. Like any roofing product, they were created to provide a barrier between the inside of a structure and the harsh outside elements. Roof tiles are made of local, natural and recyclable materials such as terracotta, slate and concrete. A tile roofing system consists of overlapping roof tiles securely attached to a solid substrate or roof deck on a sloped roof.. Tile roofing is a very specialized field of roof installation and requires a contractor that is experienced in working with and installing roof tiles of various materials and shapes.
Neglecting tile roof cleaning can lead to several risks such as leaks, water damage, mold growth, pest activity, high bills and safety hazards. If you neglect your roof, it’s probably going to end up leaking at some point. If leaks aren’t attended to properly, they can lead to extensive water damage. Damp environments can lead to mold growth. Mold isn’t the only unwanted organism that’s attracted to a roof in disrepair. High bills and safety hazards are also some of the risks of neglecting your roof maintenance.
Here are some things you should avoid doing on your tile roof:
• Walking on it: Tile is fragile, and you can severely damage your roof by walking on it. The key to walking on a tile roof is distributing your weight over an area wider than your foot. To do this, experienced workers lay down plywood walkways, treated with foam backs, when moving across a tile roof.
• Sealing anything on top: Leak repairs to tile roofs cannot be repaired by sealing anything on top; it must be sealed below the tiles.
• Not reinforcing your roofing deck: Reinforcing your roofing deck is necessary for clay or concrete tile roofing.
Here are some tips to maintain your tile roof:
• Inspect your tile roof periodically. Look for cracked or chipped tiles.
• Do NOT pressure wash your roof as it can erode the concrete tiles or penetrate through into the felt below and cause flooding in the roof space. What you can do is to have it soft washed which is the safest way to clean your tile roof.
• Refurbish your roof.
• Replace damaged tiles immediately.
• Walk on your tile roof very carefully.
Soft washing is a safe and cost-effective way to clean your roof without damaging it. Soft washing roofs prevents damage from high amounts of pressure. High pressure can loosen the granules of your shingles, but the delicate action of soft washing cleans shingles carefully without causing any damage or forcing the shingles off. Soft washing uses a low-pressure spray of water, chlorine bleach, and surfactant to eliminate mold, mildew, moss, and algae. The soft wash system uses biodegradable liquid soap that loosens dirt buildup and allows for it to be easily rinsed away. The process is completely safe for you, your family, and your landscaping.
Tile roofs can last more than 100 years, especially when installed in the right climate. Clay and concrete tile roofs have been known to withstand hail, high winds, and even fire. Unlike wood, a tiled roof will never decay. Even though these roofs are very durable, they may require repairs or maintenance due to breakage from heavy impact. A tile roofing system consists of overlapping roof tiles securely attached to a solid substrate or roof deck on a sloped roof. Tile roofing is a very specialized field of roof installation and requires a contractor that is experienced in working with and installing roof tiles of various materials and shapes. Tile roofs are also known for their aesthetic appeal and versatility.